Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday June 25th, 2010

I've been leading a charmed life, especially this last month. This is just as I want it, although real life out in the world pokes it's head in to remind me it is there. I woke up early yesterday, right before John texted me from the Apple store, and was having a lot of anxiety about my upcoming trip to China. Usually in the light of day, I can take it all in stride, but I had woken up at 5:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. Even though the sun was up, the hour was still early enough that all my worries were in the forefront. This would not do, I felt, since I have at least one good week left before I have to start really switching gears.

What I do almost every day is practice my music and practice my Chinese. I always have something to do, even if it's something that is not quite as compelling as it once was. I watch the kids while they swim, swim with the kids, walk the dog, make meals and do dishes, fold laundry, pack. The suitcases have been opened up on Molly's bed for two weeks now. I've been to stores to get various and sundry items we might need, like travel sized toiletries, anti-diarrhea medicine, bandage strips and antibacterial ointment. We might not need any of it, but I am never prepared so I figure I might as well be this time.

Other people travel all the time, but this is a big deal for me. I always have anxiety every time I get on a plane, but now, with my children split up and going to a foreign country, it's worse. If Molly hadn't wanted so much to go, I wouldn't have gone. But the leading up, the fundraising, all the preparation, it's been fun. It's given me a goal to work towards, it's been on the horizon for so long. Now it's almost here. I said I would be glad when it was over and we are home safe, and that is true, yet I will miss having this big thing that we are working for. Yet with the choirs, there will be more. There is the American International Choir Festival in Reno next year, the ACDA conference in Reno and then the World Choir Games in Cincinnati.

No comments:

Post a Comment